Saturday, September 10, 2011

Gone to the big chicken coop in the sky....

In the spring we collected 4 pullets from my mothers batch.  We have recently confirmed that one of our hens is in fact a rooster.  Today we sent him away...Humanely of course.  It had to be done.

I'm pleased to report that the garden did relatively well but plenty of wasted space will spur me to do better next time.

There is  plenty of clean-up to do now that fall is setting in...at least the firewood is in.

Work has been crazy, very stressful since Irene blew through.  Everyone was out of sorts to begin with, add a week of heavy rain, and it just got worse.  I've been volunteering where possible, but the mold has begun to set in, which is bad news for anyone, but especially someone with asthma, so I'm looking elsewhere for opportunities.  Today I spent a few hours at my agencies thrift store working with a great couple of people, just being their gopher..  It felt good to help out.

By the way, we ate one of my Mom's meat birds tonite, well, the legs.  Blech.  I'm a chicken snob.  I'll admit it.  I only like the breast meat, and the occasional wing if it's prepared correctly....I do NOT like dark meat..  The 1/2 of an acorn squash that i had with it was really good though, as were the blueberries and cream i had for supper.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment